Most people may not realize that one of my favorite ways to pass time is to look up random facts... Today's fact hunt was instigated by a conversation with my friend, Amanda, where she used a common catch phrase.. So I went google crazy and found a lot of fun ones that were coined by Shakespeare. Maybe since I am not very old, I can get away with being surprised. ;) Some are very obvious, obviously. Here are some of my favorites.
A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!
As dead as a doornail.
As good luck would have it..
But, for my own part, it was Greek to me.
(Some days, everything is Greek to me!)
Eaten out of house and home.
(Not gonna happen at my house.... ;)
Fight fire with fire.
(Scissor Sisters made a song from this...... weird.....)
Good riddance!
(AMEN.)
Green eyed monster.
I have not slept one wink.
In a pickle.
Like the Dickens.
(Just a great line in general... nothing to do with Charles Dickens)
Love is blind.
(SO CLICHE!)
Make your hair stand on end.
Night owl.
(If I had a penny for all the times my dad called me this................................................................................................)
Off with his head!
(COOL!)
Send him packing.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.
(Did Spiderman/Stan Lee steal this?!?)
There's method in my madness.
Too much of a good thing.
I also found a few that originated from the Bible, so I'll include the ones I thought were not exceedingly obcvious...
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
A leopard cannot change it's spots.
At his wit's end.
Bite the dust.
(And another one down, and another one down.... Another one bites the dust!)
Eat, drink, and be merry!
(I thought this was Shakespeare....)
Holier than thou.
(This may be a bit obvious..)
Pride goes before the fall.
(Duh.)
Put words in one's mouth.
See eye to eye.
Set your teeth on edge.
Skin of your teeth.
The apple of his eye.
(Awwww)
The root of the matter...
No comments:
Post a Comment