Friday, 4 November 2011

When It's Grey.

It seems that the older I get and the more I experience the less black and white some things become... and you would think that after several successful and failed friendships these past years that I may now have a better grasp on what it means to be a true friend and how to recognize one when I see it. I thought that I would see what the Bible says about friendship so that I can see where my friendships measure up and keep myself reminded. ;)

"An honest answer is the sign of true friendship."
- Proverbs 24:26

"Friends always show their love. What are brothers for if not to share troubles?"
- Proverbs 17:17


"Some friendships do not last, but some friends are more loyal than brothers."
- Proverbs 18:24

"A friend means well, even when he hurts you."
- Proverbs 27:6

"A mirror reflects a man's face, but what he is really like is shown by the kind of friends he chooses."
- Proverbs 27:19

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens his friend's countenance."
-Proverbs 27:17



Some other thoughts.....

Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person! Having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out just as they are, chaff and grain together. Certain that a faithful hand will take them and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
- George Eliot

Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don't say.
– Unknown

A true friend is someone that knows the song of your soul, and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words.
- Anonymous

It costs to be a friend or to have a friend. It not only costs time, affection, patience, love, but sometimes a man must even lay down his life for his friends. There is no true friendship without self-abnegation, self-sacrifice.
- Anonymous




And on a lighter note:

A true friend is one who thinks you are a good egg even if you are half cracked.

No comments:

Post a Comment