Sunday, 14 March 2010

Introduction!

Hey Everyone! I thought that this might be an easier way of keeping in touch with y'all. :) Lemme know what you think!

Well these past few weeks have been crazy! I left for Halesowen in January and have been in the UK for 52 days. I'll be here another 21 months working with youth. I am a part of a Global Action (GA) program through Lifehope- a branch of OM. Most students in the GA program stay for 4 months, and a few stay for 8, 12, or 24 months- Like me! We go through a 3 week training course called ToolKit which prepares us for ministry in smaller teams around the UK. While in our teams we have required study times and homework. My time here has not been just studies and I have had some crazy and fun experiences as well! I have been hiking in a national park in Wales, exploring Halesowen, learning how important it is to drink a cup of tea (it truly solves all of life's problems ;), tasting British coffee (EWW!!), and tons of other things!

Recently I have moved to a wealthy town called Monmouth in Wales (google it!) and live in a house with a team of OMers. They are from Germany, France, and Hungary! We help out Monmouth Baptist Church by attending all church functions, Bible study, help in a Moms and Toddlers group called Footprints, distribute a Christian newspaper door to door, help with Kids Zone- a youth group for kids ages 4-8, team prayer meetings, tracting in the town center, Jesus and Hot Chocolate- open youth work with teens who have difficult home lives, Links- Christian youth group, and also present the Gospel through dramas and puppet shows at local schools. Jonathan Greaves, our pastor, has told me that the OM team enables the church to reach more people and do more things in 4 months (which is the duration most GAers- short term missionaries on my team stay) than they could in 4 years! Pretty rad, eh?

My experience here is going to take a turn from those ministries however because as most of you know I am here to work with youth! I am the FIRST PERSON EVER to be a part of the Youth Track. This involves volunteering at a local secular youth club (The Attik) and getting a Christian Youth Workers Certificate which allows me to work anywhere in the UK with youth. I have to take classes in Birmingham, Nottingham (wohoo!), and Stoke each month. My goal is to really get to know the kids in the area and hopefully disciple some young girls. I want to encourage them and help them come to know Christ.

That is the start of my time here! I'll post a few more things so you can be up to date. I'd love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment